Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Back from Sipadan

Just came back from Sipadan feeling very refreshed- but at the same time- quite depressed. Wish I had stayed on for a few more days. It such an amazing experience diving off Sipadan. The resort is on top of a column of coral. You jump off and its just a sheer drop all the way down to the aqua blue bottom; I felt like I was flying.

Its a bit like jumping off a skyscraper.

We were surrounded by fishes - a thousand strong school of Trevally were to the right of us. Several large white tip sharks were swimming near the bottom. And the wall or massive pillar of coral with thousands of colorful fishes and marine life were living on. We also saw several large green turtles - one of them just asleep on the rocks.

Amazing.

You know what makes a great holiday?

Going to see great works of art, architecture is great. But its also the company you keep. There's something about the people you meet and the friends you make - that make holidays even more special. Its not just meeting people- its also about making connections with other people- and finding common ground - and resonance.

I fell into a total blue today. I tried getting it out of my system by going to the gym and running myself silly. But ended up TIRED and depressed. haha. I keep on daydreaming about the whole trip to Sipadan... but most especially the friends I made.

Let me tell you something about myself. I don't know whether you experienced it before- but have you ever been in a place with people who didn't like you or - treated u with indifference- like you weren't there? Most of my growing up years were spent like that- in isolation and in hostile or in indifferent company.

That's why I really appreciate it when I meet up with people who are gracious, friendly and accepting of me. I try and never take such acts of kindness for granted.

No comments: