Monday, September 23, 2013

Movie review - Stories We Tell

I heard some good things about this movie. Yesterday on Facebook I read a glowing report by Aimee Mann (the musician) - and gosh I had nothing planned for Sunday night so I decided to go watch it.

"Stories We Tell" is a documentary about Sarah Polley's mother. Its told through interviews with the people who knew her. Her family, her children, her loving husband etc..

Initially it seems a straightforward sadsob story about a close relative who dies before her time.


But we are told early on that there is a mystery about a woman who seemed to be open without secrets.

I liked it. I give it a 8/10 for its uniqueness. I had this overwhelming sense as the interviews were starting off that this was going to be a story about an ordinary family living extraordinary lives by chance.

And I wondered how many stories that my own countrymen (Singaporeans) had that are not shared, known, and will quite likely enter total silence when they die.

Anyway, this is a serious and clever film and does require you to pay attention to the narration. There are certain twists so don't watch this if you are too tired or after an action/horror flick.




Spoilers below

Do not read this if you don't want to spoil the plot.

I felt that Sarah was in incensed with her lovely dad for not being able to love her mother the way she wanted to be loved. But I love how he was totally accepting of his wife's infidelity and even was glad for it - as the outcome of that adultery - was Sarah Polley - who while she was not his own child - she was who she was due to the union of his wife and another lover. I found that extraordinarily "God-like loving" - I can't think of a better word.


No comments: