Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pablo Neruda-I Like For You To Be Still (Narrator/Glenn Close)

I just discovered Pablo Neruda's work - and wow, I'm impressed. His poem "I like for you to be still" is so beautiful.

Well, I admit I'm a diehard romantic. I don't watch football on TV or for that matter any other sport... except perhaps skiing and surfing.

But I do love the sound of good poetry.

Hope you enjoy listening to this. I certainly did.





I like for you to be still 
It is as though you are absent 
And you hear me from far away 
And my voice does not touch you 
It seems as though your eyes had flown away 
And it seems that a kiss had sealed your mouth 
As all things are filled with my soul 
You emerge from the things 
Filled with my soul 
You are like my soul 
A butterfly of dream
And you are like the word: Melancholy

I like for you to be still 
And you seem far away 
It sounds as though you are lamenting 
A butterfly cooing like a dove 
And you hear me from far away 
And my voice does not reach you 
Let me come to be still in your silence 
And let me talk to you with your silence 
That is bright as a lamp 
Simple, as a ring You are like the night
With its stillness and constellations
Your silence is that of a star
As remote and candid I like for you to be still
It is as though you are absent 
Distant and full of sorrow 
So you would've died 
One word then, One smile is enough 
And I'm happy; Happy that it's not true.

Gosh I can't believe this is the first time I'm reading Pablo's work!!! Its sublime.

No comments: