Thursday, October 02, 2008

Survey shows Gamers aren't Slouch Potatos

"The image of computer gamers as tubby nerds scoffing pizza in their basement is being challenged by a study that shows they are fitter than the general population. Researchers in the United States asked 7000 devotees of the popular role-playing game EverQuest II about their physical and mental health. They found adult gamers had a lower average body mass index than the general population, New Scientist reported. Gamers also took part in vigorous exercise once or twice a week, more than most people."

(Lol. "asked". That's like asking people whether they think they are ugly, fat, or unattractive... I wouldn't be surprised if) the survey also revealed that the same gamers admitted to having sex with beautiful women five to six times a day, and had either a Porsche Boxer or Lamborghini as their 2nd car.


7 comments:

Teddy Ursa said...

Really? Perhaps they were still living in their RPG world? ;)

Yauming YMC said...

What I found amusing was that the survey was so well trusted. I think people by and large are essential gullible and want to believe anything interesting and fashionable. Check out the criticism of the Kinsey Report on Sexuality - a large part of the survey to assess general sexual attitudes/ preferences was done with male prostitutes and prison inmates. I mean how fubar is that?

Jeremy N said...

Having the dubious pleasure of having to weigh and measure an average of 50 people per week, I can tell you that about 90% of males over estimate their height, and under estimate their weight. That's just general adult population, not losers with alternative online lives.....

With females it's more like 20-30%, but they always seem to cringe when I ask their weight before weighing them.........

Does playing Doom/TFC/Counterstrike count as vigorous exercise?? Hmm... what other vigorous exercises can one do in front of the computer.......!?!?

Yauming YMC said...

I hesistate to guess :)

Andrew Hall said...

Yauming,

You can of course use your "Wii Fit". What else were you referring to??? :D

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/30926-fatgamers.jpg

Esther Wong said...

Like any survey, you have to look at sooo many other factors.

But me, being an RPG player myself, I personally don't think I'm a fattie eating pizza in my basement. I don't have a basement.

I can honestly say, my brother isn't a fattie either and he's an RPG player (even more so than myself).

Yauming YMC said...

lol. i play games too. but the point is- the survey asked people to give an assessment of themselves. They can say anything they want. And its quite likely that they would not admit to being fat or lazy.