Sunday, October 12, 2008

Isaiah 43:18

In my quiet time, God spoke to me through His Word and He said:

Forget the former things
Do not dwell in the past
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland.
Isaiah 43:18 -19

These verses spoke to me. I'm been feeling very sad today, and extremely worried about the future. I've been trying to pray and commit my fears to God. Yet, the gnawing fear remains.

Yesterday at Bible class we learnt about how Moses rejected God's offer to leave Israel and send an angel to drive out Israel's enemy and take them to the Promised Land - as He was sick of them. I wondered how frustrated Moses must have felt when they were denied entry to the Promised Land and had to wander around for 40 years.

But my friend Yang said to me - Moses wasn't so much interested in the Promised Land - being in the presence of God was the prize and reward. Somehow Moses realized that the Promised Land was - without the protection and grace of God, just another piece of earth.

(Lol. Golda Meir, the Prime Minister of Israel in 1973) once quipped - "Strange that after wandering 40 years in the wilderness, Moses took the people of Israel to the only place in the Middle East with NO OIL").

Sometimes being self-sufficient - has in itself the seeds of future problems. It makes us forget about God. We don't feel the need to pray to Him so urgently. Our minds and hearts wander. We stop seeking Him so thoughtfully.


No comments: