Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Don't you have better things to do on a Sunday?

I'm a Christian. My family - through my father's line - have been Christian for over five generations stretching back to the 19th century.

But I've been disillusioned with organized religion. Going to church these days seem more like a social event. And the sermons are merely paper covering many of my doubts about Christianity.

The one thing I dislike about Christianity as I know it - is that we are frowned upon to question what is written in the Bible. Who wrote the stuff up? Who chose what to include in the final text book?

Isn't it peculiar that Jesus - the Word of God made flesh - never wrote anything down - apart from some writings on the sand (in the case of the woman caught in adultery? I think that is saying something.

Why is that Jesus said the two most important rules we were to follow were :
1. Love God
2. Love your neighbor as yourself and treat them as you yourself want to be treated.

Then for some reason other people wrote other stuff in which contradict what Jesus said to Nicodemus.

Personally I am forming the opinion that a lot of what is written in the Bible was more heavily influenced by the male writers than by God.

When we sing in Jesus - "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet" we are also referring to Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy which has some horrible stuff to say about rape, the power of the husband over the wife etc..

For Christians who chose to believe that the Bible is the Word of God that puts them in a bind because they are forced to defend all the fubar rules and regulations in the Bible - ie. you cannot marry even after divorce. They might as well expose the virtues of slavery while they are at it too. (Slavery was never sanctioned in the bible).

I've come to the stage in my Christian walk where I've decided I don't want to worship a book, ie the Bible. I want to experience the God who created the universe, created the woman I love, the world as I know it - and I want to strive to let my love for humanity flow over and help this world I am living in. I don't want to be fettered by rules that don't make sense anymore.


I also don't want to attend church anymore. I've got better things to do on a Sunday.

**Meanwhile we are currently berthed at Queen Salote's wharf, Nuku'alofa, Tonga. I've just learned we will be here for another two weeks to sort out more paperwork and admin stuff. Hopefully we can sail out and do some local diving and mind detecting work for day trips.


No comments: