Friday, January 09, 2009

Young Woman in Gold Satin

This is a portrait of a young woman - done by the Melbourne artist Judy Drew. I like this sort of impressionist art - its one of the few modern art works that i can appreciate.

How I got this painting; I was walking down Burke Street one Sunday before Evening service - and chanced upon the Melbourne Fine Art Gallery. I was surprised that it was open and walked in - free exhibit - cool.

The Gallery was actually closing shop - it had just finished an exhibit of work by Judy Drew - some of her gorgeous paintings went for over five figures. All sold out except for one. This one.

It was sitting in an entrance of the gallery's staircase - and was consequently neglected by the clients. It was entitled Young Woman in Gold Satin. There is a peaceful serene countenance about the woman. I like it. Its so beautiful.

I inquired about the price and was offered a discount. I bought it and walked to church with the painting in packaging.

I took this photo of the portrait at sunset - when the sunlight streams into my office.



No comments: