Monday, March 24, 2014

Jesus, the Bible and 21st century morality

There has been some furor among some of my Christian friends regarding whether it is acceptable to allow homosexuals to marry.

Sometime ago, I would have taken the Biblical approach - homosexuality is a sin and therefore homosexuals cannot marry. Lately, however, I've become more reflective on the whole issue esp. on the need to regard the Bible as the absolute Word of God. And the appropriateness of enforcing a Christian Biblical standard onto non-believers.

The Bible has a lot of things to say - Jesus did say sell all your possessions and give to the poor. He also said during the time approaching his crucification that we have to carry a sword and before that He said turn the other cheek if someone strikes you. Do any of the Christian leaders in Singapore do any of that - esp. living frugally and giving all they have to the poor... noooooooooooo. Funny that :)
 
Anyway, should Society legally allow homosexuals to marry?I'm not a homosexual. I love women. Having said that - I never asked to be a heterosexual; I am one. I was born this way. No amount of brainwashing is going to convince me otherwise.I think if someone is born a homosexual - and please no frivolous campus jokes - why should we as a society prevent two consenting homosexual adults from doing what other consenting heterosexual adults from doing?Ah, then someone will say - well, they can't have kids - ergo, their relationship is a sham. I think that is a ridiculous argument. What if a heterosexual couple is barren, unable to conceive - should we ban them from marriage? Or if a married couple chose not to have children - should the marriage then be considered null and void?

Recently some of my Christians friends had an argument over the issue. One of them was presenting very valid points for pro-homosexual marriage. Jesus for example never condemned homosexuality. But what I found very troubling was the fact that my other Christian friends - some whom I really respect - instead of debating on the issue - were resorting to name calling. They called him a troll. They started parroting each other's accusations against this "heretic"; and I thought they were rational sensible people. If this was 2,000 years ago, they would have all been picking up rocks and stoning the dude for stepping out of line. Modern day Pharisees.I don't have the answers to all the questions and problems regarding homosexual marriages.But I turn to the words of Jesus - in this case: "the Sermon on the Mount"In particular Matt 7:1212 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

 I'm not sure which Torah or Old Testament Jesus was reading from - but my reading of Jewish Law with its endless rules ordained by God - esp. with references to the brutal executions for non-virgin brides - doesn't connect. Read Deuteronomy 22 . No, don't you dare say "context"!!! I say its fucked up to brutal kill a young girl on a wedding night just because her hymen was already broken. I don't care who said it - even if it was God. Its monstrously disgusting now. And even it was 2000 years ago, its still fucking monstrously wrong to kill a young girl 2,000 years ago. I don't know how that command got in - but I think its one of the most evil things I've ever read, its fubar. I wouldn't do it 2000 years ago and not now. If you want to argue "context" I suggest you take a sharp rock and smash yourself in the head with it a few times just to find out how it feels. I am absolutely ashamed of my Christian friends who actually dare to defend this piece of legislation.

But Jesus' words - those words - "Do to others what you want them to do to you" is powerful to me, its eternal, its holy. I believe it. Jesus said many things - but this word sticks with me.I believe in marriage. I want to get married one day to the woman whom I love and who respects and cherishes me. So if someone else wants to marry the person he or she loves - even if they are of the same gender why should I stop them or enact rules which make it illegal for them to do so? I cannot in good conscience forbid someone to do what I want to do.

Society is such an artificial construct. Essentially we make the laws in the land based on our conscious. I cannot in good conscious pass a law forbidding them to get married. Because Jesus said  in the book of Matthew 7:12.12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.There are also other unpleasant stuff that Jesus said regarding sin, eye gorging, mutilation, lust, wealth distribution, and divorce. If Christians want to regard the Bible as the absolute Word of God - I suggest they think seriously consider applying those verses in their own lives before behaving like modern day Pharisees.

No comments: