Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tyserall House, Singapore


The House is its heyday. Unfortunately, it was burnt down in the 1930s - and rebuilt again but not in the same style or luxury.

This is one of the great houses of Singapore. Great because of its grandeur and immense size. The former Sultan of Johor's palace- right next to MacRitchie Reservoir Reserve and the Botanical Gardens. Currently unoccupied - it was acquired by the Singapore Govt a few years back. It seems they are letting it slowly get destroyed by the elements. Its a huge estate - its over 500,000 sq feet if you include the gardens... more like forests. Check the photos out if you don't believe.

I paid it a visit two weeks ago. Quite spooky. I thought I saw a blue clad ghost coming down the stairs and decided not to venture upstairs. The magnificent photos marked DKHC were taken by Daniel K. Cheong many months ago. You can check out his magnificent photos here:
http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29789996@N00&tags=creepy&format=rss_200

BTW, I don't know Daniel personally. The first and last photos are from his site. The rest, including the videos, were taken by me with my trusty Canon IXUS40.

5 comments:

michelle tan said...

Hello Yau Ming,

I am a history student in NUS and would so appreciate it if you can grant me permission to use your photos for my history project! I am currently undertaking a research project of Tyserall House. Please kindly contact me at michelle_tanz@hotmail.com asap okay. Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Michelle

Yauming YMC said...

Hi Michelle, just to let you know the first and last photos were taken by Daniel KC Chong. You should direct your questions there.
http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=29789996@N00&tags=creepy&format=rss_200

Yauming YMC said...

FYI, I spoke to an officer of the URA about the house and the plans to restore it and was informed that it was under special review whatever that means. Arson destroyed the roof a year ago. And the beautiful teak flooring is left exposed to the elements. The large land estate was acquired by the Singapore Govt a few years back ago. If you check out the architecture forums- by googling Tyserall house - you'll find out more details.

michelle tan said...

Hey Yau Ming, I am Michelle again. I went to visit the site recently and I heard demolishing works going on! Also, the entire area is now blocked off by large mud moulds and it's now like a mini jungle there! Btw, I am thinking of continuing my work for this project. How did u talk to an officer of the URA??? If I can do that for my project, it would be great! Do let me know okay! You can email me at the same address. Thanks so much! =)

michelle tan said...

btw, the address to email me at is michelle_tanz@hotmail.com. THANK YOU.