Monday, December 23, 2013

Scuba Diving at Raja Ampat - West Papua Nov 2013

Pardon me for the lack of updates - I just got back a week long trip to West Papua. I was on a Live-on-Board - a small cruise ship outfitted for scuba diving.

There were about 15 divers onboard; we dived at Raja Ampat, which means four kings in Indonesian. It refers to the four currents that flow into that area - bringing with them nutrients, planketon, food that enables the sea creatures to feast on a seemingly infinite supply.

However, the number of sharks are dwindling due to overfishing. And there are not so many big creatures either - like tuna and the manta rays.

I had the immense fortune of swimming upclose to a Manta Ray twice - that was my highlight.

I also swam with dolphins but it was a brief but close encounter.

No comments: