Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know". Jeremiah 33:3



There are some verses in the Bible that stand out positively. This is one of them.

Of course if you read the context of the verse it is about God having a conversation with Jeremiah about the judgement of the nation of Israel and its subsequent redemption - the usual "I'll whoop their arses and rescue them later etc..."

But the fundamental truth stands out - the crucial thing is this awesome reply from God.

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

My old pastor from Swanston Street once said - we don't need to ask God for any more answers - we have all the answers we need in the Bible. Anything else - anything outside the Bible - prohecies, word of knowledge etc.. was borderline heretical to him. Everything ended with the Book of Revelation. I think he's mistaken.

He fails to see that we as Christians don't worship a book - even if the book is considered the Word of God.

God is more than the sum of a book. We're talking about a God who made the Universe, all of creation as we see it. How can you encapsulate a God in a book written by infallible human beings - even if they were divinely inspired? Some of the stuff written in the Bible - esp. genocide and eternal damnation vs a God of love - causes some Christians to go through a lot of illogical loops of explanation.

God is more than a book. Just as a person is a lot more than a biography book. Above all - God is an actual person. Well, not a human being, not a mortal most definitely. But He or It is an intelligent living entity who has human like emotions such as love, hate, jealousy, patience, and rage.

God above all else does want to speak to you and have a conversation with you - and not just "great and mysterious (or unsearchable) things but in everything.

He didn't just send His One and Only Begotten Son to get crucified on the cross so that we can go to heavens and play with harps.

He did it so that we can return back to "Eden" - to a time and place where we can walk - hand in hand, shoulder to shoulder with our Creator - to talk to Him, to have fellowship with Him, to be His friend face to face.

There may be problems in our lives - sins even - I got a bagful of them - but I believe they are small compared to what God has in store for us.

Some people ask - how do I keep so young? I'm 44 but I look like I'm more like 30 so everyone says. I pray. I pray everyday, every minute sometimes. I maintain a communion with God even if I'm angry with Him. I ask Him questions. I insult Him. I berate Him. I enjoy His presence when I feel it or claim it by faith when I don't. But above all else I'm honest with my God - and humble.

I call to my God and He does answer me. Some replies just take some time to come.

No comments: