Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dinner @ The Equinox 70th Floor Swissotel

I honestly didn't know where to have dinner tonight. Its my birthday. I didn't fancy anything special.

Initially we went to one of the ordinary restaurants. Turns out they only serve crepes. So we had a strawberry ice cream and left and went thinking and searching...

I was after a place that had ambiance, nice views, quiet, good food, service, etc.. I like to enjoy good food and be in an environment where you can conduct pleasant conversation without diners or staff yelling, shouting or otherwise talking very loudly and rudely. You get a lot of that in some Chinese restaurants. Food superb. Atmosphere like Hell.

Soooo... Just for laughs. Went up to the 70th floor of the Swissotel to check out Jaan, a boutique fine dining restaurant that had a good review by
http://chubbyhubby.net/blog/?p=542

Jaan looked ok, very intimate. The decor seemed a bit spartan though. But the views were definitely better at the Equinox which was on the same floor.

As you can see - the views were spectacular!!!! You could see the Esplanade, the Concert Hall, Boat and Clarke Quey, the CBD skyline, Parliament, the Merlion, and the Ferris Wheel etc... everything worth seeing. My date couldn't get enough of the scenery. So! Settled!!! We eat here!

We ordered steak. My date had the Black Angus, and I had the Wagyu which at $128 cost twice as much. Later, I thought the Black Angus tasted better.

Nonetheless, they were the best steaks I've tasted in a long time. Tender, Soft, Juicy, Tasty. Much better than the ones I've had in some of the steak houses in Carlton, Melb.

The steaks went down well with the Aussie Shiraz. The soup - Bouillabaise- was worth skipping though. Same goes for the overpriced water. And they didn't have much of a dessert menu; a wide selection I mean.

We had the cake at my date's home with her family, not at the restaurant. I didn't fancy the waiters singing happy! birthday! while the rest of the other diners looked on dimly bemused... that would be so provincial.

A very enjoyable dinner by all accounts. (Check out the rest of the pictures in the photo section) We actually spent so much time talking and staring at the scenery that our food got cold!


6 comments:

Classiclicious Jo Ann C said...

Yeah good scenery at the equinox though the prices are steep. Bet u had an enjoyable & romantic birthday celebrations :)

Classiclicious Jo Ann C said...

Yeah the Equinox has very nice scenery. Good food and ambience despite the steep prices, Bet you had an enjoyable and romantic birthday celebrations :)

Yauming YMC said...

pretty much. As for the steak- at least you could feel where the money went to.

Classiclicious Jo Ann C said...

Good food, fine wine, nice scenery and good company. Worth paying ! Next time, you must bring me there (lol)

adelyn kwan said...

I tried Jaan twice, nice place for a quiet, intimate dinner, Their set lunches are a steal for the quality though. The views are fantastic, I had the chance to view fireworks while having dinner!

Yauming YMC said...

Thanks Addy! I''ll give Jaan a try one of these days.